September is National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month and at Edmond Norman Foot & Ankle we want to impress upon our patients the importance of supporting this cause. It’s a simple fact: the more weight you carry the harder it is on your feet. Many podiatric conditions are made worse by being overweight or obese. In addition, being overweight makes patients more prone to developing diabetes which can have serious consequences for your feet and the rest of your body. We believe it’s important to start now to instill good habits in children that will help ensure that they maintain healthy weights. Currently, about 17% of all children in the U.S. are obese and with a high probability of continuing to be obese into adulthood. In addition to health issues, many of these children have to deal with bullying and ostracism by their peers. Consider these ways to help:
In the Community:
- If your child is in daycare, find out what the target goal is for physical activity each day
- Encourage your school to add more healthy choices to school lunch menus
- Consider helping your church, school or community set up an event that encourages physical activity and/or healthy lifestyle choices
- Make fitness a family priority. Bike, walk, hike, bowl, swim and do other physical activities together.
- Help your child reach the goal of 60 active minutes each day
- Increase the amount of fruit and vegetables you serve your family
- Involve your children in shopping for and preparing healthy meals
- Reduce the amount of high sugar and fat snacks you buy
- Offer water instead of sugary drinks and soda when your child is thirsty
If your child is resistant to physical activities or doesn’t want to participate in sports they previously enjoyed, a foot problem may be the reason. Make an appointment at our Edmond or Norman office for our board certified foot and ankle surgeon, Dr. A. Bil Buksh to examine your child’s feet and ankles.